Gear coupling (GC) is used to join two rotating shafts for efficient transmission of mechanical power. The main function of these coupling is not only to connect two rotating shafts but also permit axial movement and accommodate below mention misalignment of the connecting shaft.
- Parallel/Radial misalignment – When axes of connected shafts are parallel but not in the same straight line
- Angular misalignment – When the axes of connected shafts intersect at center point of coupling but not in straight line.
- Combined radial and angular mis alignment – When the axes of connected shaft do not intersect at point of coupling and are not parallel.
Gear Coupling Comprises of Following Parts
- hubs with external teeth
- sleeves with internal teeth
- O ring seals
- Lubricating plug
- Drawn-off hole
Types of Gear Coupling
1. Flanged Sleeve / Double Housing Gear Coupling
They are available with following type:
- Standard Flanged Sleeve GC
- This coupling consists of two flexible hubs with two sleeves. It provides double engagement for parallel, angular, combined misalignment and end float.
- Flex- Rigid Type Flanged Sleeve GC
- Single engagement type coupling consists of a flexible and a rigid half. These coupling only accommodate angular misalignment. They are used in floating shaft application. The floating shaft configuration allows removal of the center assembly for ease of maintenance without repositioning machinery.
- Mill Motor Type Flanged Sleeve GC
- These coupling are designed for mill type motors with tapered shaft. The sleeves and one hub are standard, but the other hub is tapered bored as per customer specification.
- Spacer Type Flanged Sleeve GC
- These coupling allow additional spacing between shafting for ease of maintenance. The removal of the standard coupling half from the shaft without moving the driver or driven units is achieved by the spacer. This gear coupling consists of standard full flexible hubs and sleeves assembly bolted to a flanged spacer. These gear coupling has angular and parallel misalignment capabilities in addition to end float.
2. Continuous sleeve gear coupling
They are available with following type
- Standard Continuous Sleeve GC
This coupling consists of two flexible hubs with a single sleeve. These coupling are suitable for most application.
- Flexible-rigid Type Continuous Sleeve GC
Flexible- rigid type coupling consists of a flexible hub and rigid hub with a single sleeve. The flexible hub is a standard rebore able hub and the rigid hub uses a splined rebore able type hub. They are commonly used in floating shaft application or on a line shaft to accommodate axial expansion. These Gear coupling accommodates angular misalignment only.
- Floating Shaft Type Continuous Sleeve GC
The Floating shaft type coupling is designed for remote drive and excessive misalignment problems. The gear coupling hub on the drive and driven ends are rigid while the two center hubs connected by the center shaft are flexible. These hubs can be reversed, if necessary, without sacrificing ease of installation or disassembly.
- Shear Pin Type Continuous Sleeve GC
The shear pin type coupling is designed to prevent damage to connected equipment resulting from excessive torque or sudden shock. The shear pins are manufactured to shear at predetermined loads which are specified by the customer.
Continuous and flanged type gear coupling are also manufactured in many special type such as breakdrum type, sliding hub type, Jordan type etc. as per customer requirement.